At Northgate Primary School, we are committed to the principle of equality for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, religion, gender, language, disability or family background, and to the active support of initiatives designed to further this principle. We believe that equality is at the heart of good educational practice.
Respect is one of our core values. Pupils are taught to respect and celebrate difference and understand that everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexuality or disability has equal value. Staff model respect and understanding in all their work within school.
At Northgate Primary School, we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
Equality in Teaching and learning
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement. We do this by:
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and reflective of our pupils
- Using materials that reflect the diversity of the school, population and local community without stereotyping
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education.
Equality in Admissions and Exclusions
Our admissions arrangements are fair and transparent and do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, religion, belief, disability and/or socio-economic background.
Equal Opportunities for Staff
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law. We are keen to ensure that the staffing of the school reflects the diversity of our community.