What is the Sports Premium?
The PE and sport premium is an additional grant of money provided directly to schools by the government which is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of PE and sport activities they offer their pupils.
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money. However, the government suggests that schools can use the funding to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools.
Northgate Primary School receives Sports Premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6 and the allocations are based on data gathered through the School Census.
At Northgate our broad aims are:
- To increase the quality of teaching and learning in PE and to broaden the range of sporting activities available to children.
- To increase the provision of competitive opportunities for all children, leading to a sense of achievement and higher levels of success.
- To encourage greater awareness of healthy lifestyle and safety issues amongst children and their families and the positive impact of these on physical wellbeing.
We offer a variety of competitive opportunities throughout the year, both within school and against other schools. These competitions encourage children to develop values such as fairness, respect, teamwork, cooperation and self-esteem. There are also opportunities for children to lead, manage and officiate in school games activities.
There is a well-established programme of extra-curricular activities provided after school, and at lunch times and we aim to increase levels of participation with the Sports Premium Funding. We promote healthy active lifestyles and this has a positive effect on academic subjects too.