School History

The original ‘British School’ was situated at Northgate End in Bishop’s Stortford and was financed by the British Society, the Congregational Church in Water Lane and public subscription, including a donation from the Prime Minister of the time, Lord Melbourne.

The boys section of the school was opened in January 1840 followed by the girls section in March, each section having its own Headteacher, Mr Skinner for the boys and Miss Unwin for the girls. In 1902, when local councils took over the education of the school it was renamed Northgate School.

By 1909 the number on role had increased to 340 children which had far exceeded the original estimates and improvements had to made. Further work was put on hold when war broke out in 1914. In 1924-25 the County Council renovated the building and purchased land behind the school to improve facilities.

During the Second World War the school took in refugees which swelled their numbers even further and resulted in the school using the Mission Hall in Barrels Down Road as an additional classroom.

In 1947 the Education Act of 1944 saw Northgate become a Junior Mixed Infants school taking 5-11 year olds and older children were transferred to the town’s first secondary school. The current school at Cricketfield Lane was started in 1966 but contractor delays resulted in it not being finished until May 1968 when the last of the pupils moved out of Northgate End site.

The school converted to Academy status in August 2012 and is now a two form entry with 14 classes and Nursery provision.